What you can expect:
The brutal truth of me, without all the sugary coating.
Here I am just me, UNCUT and UNEDITED.
I talk about my family, my divorce, and a lot about MAKEUP.
If you leave me a comment, I will love you forever. :)

Monday, June 3, 2013

Looking up

All three boys have been deathly ill for the last two weeks, which has (obviously) been a major challenge. Joshua got it last and was hit the hardest. Basically everyone I know has had contact with whatever this virus is, and if you've had it already, you know it's horrific. Sore throat, headache, fever, barking cough (like croup), runny nose. After about a week, I took the boys to the doctor to be sure it's not strep. Doctor checked them out and sent us home with the recommendation to treat symptoms and drink fluids. "Parainfluenza", she called it. Two days later, Joshua's cough was so bad it was making him throw up, so back to the doctor we went.

Waiting for the doc, puke bucket just in case.

She sent us home with a prescription for a steroid, which was supposed to treat his croup. Two days later his cough sounded like a normal cough and he's breathing better. That night (Saturday) he woke me up four times, crying, with an earache. Knowing his history of ear infections (a lot when he was a baby) and it being Sunday, I had no choice but to take him to the Emergency Room. His doctor wouldn't be back until Monday and the InstaCare wasn't open either. While I was getting dressed to take him to the hospital he was crying and crying, "it hurts! It hurts!" My even-tempered Joshua was not himself, and he had me very worried. Not to mention I couldn't miss another day of work (it had already been a week). 


Finally the ER doc got him set up with a prescription for an antibiotic and a pain killer for the pain. I could just kiss that doctor for finally getting my son some relief. He looked me in the eyes and said, "Single mom of three kids, and missing work... That's a lot of pressure; I'm sure you're exhausted." I almost cried hearing it out loud, validated like that. Yes, I am exhausted. And yes, it's a lot of pressure! 

He went straight home to sleep, where the dog guarded him.
Today (2 doses of antibiotics in his system and finally some sleep) Joshua is doing MUCH better. Acting like a regular kid with a runny nose. 
In the meantime, though, other things in my life have been on the up-swing. 

Has anyone else been hit with the 25-hour/week cap as a result of the new health insurance laws? Instead of insuring their employees, companies are just making new rules that their employees can't work more than 25 hours/week. This way they don't have to insure their employees, just hire more part-time people. I don't know how great your math skills are, but 20 hours x $7.50/hour = basically nothing, leaving part-time employees no choice but to get a second or third job. 

I started applying for other positions with other companies, and my very first interview turned out to be my new job. It's absolutely ideal because I will be working from home, cutting down my daycare cost through the summer and allowing me more time with my kids. I will even be able to go to college in the fall without interfering with my work schedule (which is whatever I want it to be). 

Another job I applied for in that first week was a Minutes Secretary for city council meetings. It's only Tuesday nights, and high-paying, so it will make up for two days of work at my retail job. I interviewed for that position this morning. I *think* it went well, but I'm not a pro at this interview thing yet. If I get the job, I will have three jobs and actually be able to support myself. I haven't felt this strong in a very, very long time. 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like things are starting to look up for you! (Except for the kids being sick.) I'm happy to hear this! <3


Comments make me ultra happy! Tell me who you are, what you think, why you're here...